Skip to main content

International Psychologists

Working as a psychologist in Australia – a guide for psychologists with an international qualification

To practise as a psychologist in Australia you will need to meet the registration requirements of the Psychology Board of Australia. Depending in the circumstances regarding your migration, this may or may not involve an assessment of your academic qualifications in psychology by the Australian Psychological Society. You may also require a visa, which is issued by the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs. It is likely that at the time of your application, the profession of psychology will need to be on the Skilled Occupation List. This list is generally updated once or twice per year, and often lists different roles within the psychology profession, such as “Educational Psychologist” or “Clinical Psychologist” as well as “Psychologist”.

The Australian Psychology Accreditation Council accredits programs of study of higher education providers from programs including Malaysia and Singapore as well as Australia, which may streamline the registration process for some overseas qualified psychologists.

According the Psychology Board of Australia “Psychologists with current registration and a current practising certificate that allows them to practise as a psychologist in New Zealand can apply for registration as a psychologist in Australia under the Commonwealth Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.” The application fees for the Psychology Board of Australia are set out on their website.

The Australian Psychological Society (APS) has previously been the assessing authority for academic qualifications in psychology for migration and entry into psychology courses that are accredited in Australia. The role of the APS was to assess the level at which applicant’s qualifications are comparable to a program that has been accredited by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council. However, since 1st June 2016 the APS no longer accepts applications for assessment of overseas psychology qualifications for the purpose of registration, with an application form to be submitted directly to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.



This page was last updated in January 2021.