Hi, I’m Amanda Griffiths and I’m looking for others who are forward-thinking enough to realise that practitioner wellbeing needs to be at the forefront of the culture of health care.
I am actively seeking individuals and organisations to partner with who share similar missions to that in MHC’s tagline “vitalising practitioner health + energising industry culture” and are serious about making it a reality in health care, starting with Australia.
Why? Because in my 15 years as an optometrist, I personally spent far too long doing health care the unhealthy way. Where did I end up? Burned out.
When I finally realised the absurdity of what I was doing in sacrificing my own health for that of my patients, it was followed by a massive amount of introspection, changing my own health care team and examination of the greater healthcare landscape. This concurrently allowed me to change my outlook and habitude, and transform my practise to do it the healthy way.
Now that I’ve had that epiphany, I basically live and breathe cultivating healthy health care. I am committed to the need for an industry-wide focus on practitioner wellbeing and healthy health care culture.
You might be starting to think that our intentions are aligned. Maybe you see me as the detail-orientated breath of fresh air you are looking for with your project. You might like to consider having me partner with you or your organisation or as a member of your board. I’d love to hear from you! Email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
I have first-hand experience of what it’s like to be at the coalface of delivering health services in both the public and private sectors, in both independent and corporate environments.
As well as starting My Health Career in 2012 and building it to have received over 400,000 unique visitors in 2018 alone, my professional background encapsulates a wide variety of experience:
- Falling into the role of mentor to less experienced optometrists in the practices I visit – it just seems to happen naturally
- Having a large network of health professionals, including the current and former national presidents and vice-presidents of organisations including the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, Dietitians Association Australia and Optometry Australia
- Lived experience of being a successful and extremely well-regarded health practitioner practising with and recovering from a mental illness (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Integrating mindfulness into my own practice as a health professional after studying and exploring mindful self-compassion; currently embarking on a 2 year course with a view to becoming a mindfulness and meditation teacher by the end of 2020
- Attended behind the scenes industry tours at a private hospital and aged care facility to attain an understanding of the inner working of these organisations
- Worked as an optometrist in over 50 private and corporate practices in most states and territories in Australia, providing eye care in cities, regional towns and remote indigenous communities in this beautiful country; this has given me firsthand knowledge of the different skill sets required by practitioners in different locations
- Receiving the invitation to become the permanent optometrist in over 50%, and being invited back to over 90% of the practices I have locumed in
- Being known as the optometrist who makes patients laugh (yep, really… people hear the laughter from outside the consulting room!!)
- Twice fulfilled the role of Master of Ceremonies at the national finals of the HealthFusion Team Challenge, an interdisciplinary competition for university health students
- Experience as a clinician supervising students in a university clinical setting
- Invited speaker or exhibited at over 30 high school careers events and expos as well as for organisations including the Career Development Association of Australia and Queensland’s Department of Education, Training and Employment
- Founding member of the Health Sector VET Engagement Working Party, which brought together organisations such as Queensland Health, Education Queensland, TAFE Queensland, the Health and Community Services Workforce Council to coordinate the state-wide approach to engage with prospective health students in the VET sector
- Met with Queensland Health representatives for discussions about sustainable workforce planning
- Interviewed over 30 health professionals about the good, the bad and the ugly in their jobs
- Solid understanding of the health system in Australia via publishing over 700 articles across more than 15 professions on My Health Career
- Achieving First Class Honours in my Optometry degree when I graduated in 2003 was a stepping stone to everything else!
Here’s what a previous client said at the end of the successful completion of a project with me:
“Amanda listened, paid attention to detail and was proactive every step of the way. She was responsive, creative, thorough and committed. We had a great time on this project and the results are fabulous. The Health & Community Services Workforce Council has received feedback given with great excitement, and demand for the resources has been even greater than expected.
We received quality products within a very quick timeframe. I know we would not have them completed without Amanda. A big project, we found it kept getting pushed into the background until we realised our best option was to consider outsourcing the work, though this decision was not made lightly. Amanda was motivated from get-go and kept us on task incredibly effectively.
New innovations were introduced to us as part of the experience. Geographical distances were no barrier to our collaboration as we worked through Screencast and were able to receive videos of progress and methodologies – ensuring we were in the loop at every step!
We are so pleased with the products, we have another (even more exciting!) project on the short-term horizon and we are naturally engaging Amanda as our best option!”
Kelly Kerwitz – Project Manager – Health & Community Services Workforce Council
I am an experienced presenter known for doing my research. Here’s what members of the Career Development Association of Australia said about me after a presentation:
- “Amanda you were brilliant. A real treasure. Thank you.” Allan Gatenby – Career Development Leader, NSW President CDAA
- “Amanda is a well-spoken and thorough presenter, there is no doubt she is very knowledgeable in her area and has done her research really well. Thank you Amanda.” Gitte Backhausen – Counsellor and Career Development Practitioner, Professional Member CDAA
- “Thanks very much! You have been so generous with your insights. Thank you. And you’re a fantastic, tech savvy, natural presenter :-) .” Ginny Hopper – Executive Career Coach, Member CDAA
- “Many thanks for your interesting and well researched presentation.” Ann Wilson – Careers Consultant and Psychologist, MAPS, Professional Member CDAA
Ready to get started?
Would you like to find out if I might be the right fit to partner with you or your organisation? Due to the fact that I like to go into detail about what each partnering organisation is looking for, spend a minimum of 4 hours liaising with you, doing the relevant research, assimilating all the information, ensuring that I am able to deliver results…… before putting together a proposal, project-based partnerships must be of the nature that will bring in a minimum of $8,000 in income for My Health Career. Email me at email@example.com